VEHICLE WRAP CARE
How to Care for Your Vehicle Wrap Safely
Care for your vehicle wrap just like you would any other fine paint finish. That means using high quality products designed specifically for car care, as well as using recommended cleaning and maintenance procedures. By using the following best practices, you'll get the longest life possible from your new vehicle wrap.
1. WASH REGULARLY — Wash whenever your car appears dirty. Try not to delay as contaminants allowed to remain on the vehicle wrap may be more difficult to remove.
- First rinse off as much dirt and grit as possible with a spray of water. For difficult contaminants, like bird droppings and tar, see Item 4.
- Use a wet, non-abrasive detergent such as Meguiar's NXT Generation® Car Wash or Deep Crystal® Car Wash and a soft, clean cloth or sponge.
- Rinse thoroughly with clean water.
- To reduce water spotting, immediately use a silicone squeegee to remove water and finish with a clean microfiber cloth.
2. AUTOMATED CAR WASHES — Brush-type automated car washes are not recommended as they can erode the film and cause edges to lift or chip. Plus they dull the film's appearance. Use brushless automated car washes only.
3. PRESSURE WASHING GUIDELINES — Although hand washing is the preferred cleaning method, pressure washing may be used under these conditions.
- Ensure the water pressure is kept below 2000 psi (14 MPa).
- Keep water temperature below 80°C (180°F).
- Use a spray nozzle with a 40 degree wide angle spray pattern.
- Keep the nozzle at least 1 foot (300 mm) away from and perpendicular (at 90 degrees) to the graphic.
- CAUTION: Holding the nozzle of a pressure washer at an angle to the graphic may lift the film edges.
4. REMOVING DIFFICULT CONTAMINANTS — If contaminants are left on the vehicle too long, they may be more difficult to remove. Try the following.
- Soften difficult contaminants such as bug splatter, bird droppings, tree sap, and similar contaminants by soaking them for several minutes with very hot, soapy water.
- Rinse thoroughly and dry.
- If further cleaning is needed, test one of these products in an inconspicuous area to ensure no potential damage to the wrap film: Meguiar's Gold Class™ Bug and Tar Remover or 3M™Citrus Base Cleaner. Isopropyl alcohol (IPA) (two parts IPA to 1 part water) or denatured alcohol may also help.
- Spot clean the contaminants.
- Do not use rough scrubbing or abrasive tools, which will scratch the film.
- Wash and rinse off all residue immediately.
5. FUEL SPILLS — Fuel spills should be dealt with quickly to avoid degrading the vinyl and adhesive.
- Wipe fuel off immediately.
- Wash, rinse, and dry following the steps in Item 1 as soon as possible.
6. PARKING — Park your vehicle indoors or under cover whenever possible. Just like paint, wrap films are degraded by prolonged exposure to sun, inclement weather, and atmospheric pollutants. Flat surfaces such as the hood, trunk lid, and roof are particularly vulnerable. Whenever possible, park in a garage or at least in a shaded area during the day. At night, protect the vehicle from dew or rain, which may contain acidic pollutants, a common problem in many large metropolitan areas. Acidic pollution can cause your film to discolor or turn brown. When a garage is not available, consider using a cloth car cover at night.
7. RECOMMENDATIONS — We have tested, on our own vehicles, various products from the companies below that we recommend. These products are well suited to not only extend the life of your vehicle wrap but to maintain that "showroom shine" your vehicle had when it left our shop.
Avery Supreme Wrap Care
Vehicle wraps have to deal with a whole range of tough challenges on the road. The Avery Dennison Supreme Wrap™ Care products are designed to meet those challenges and help maintain vehicle graphics in premium condition. It includes a Cleaner, Power Cleaner, and Sealant — suitable for all types of vehicle wrap films (matte, satin, and gloss).
These easy-to-use products have been fully tested with all Avery Dennison vehicle graphic films, and are all you need to protect and clean the graphics during their life. Plus they are eco-responsible as they are water-based, with no hazardous solvents, and do not require any additional water.
Avery Dennison® Supreme Wrap™ Cleaner
A general cleaning product for regular use — eliminates dust, light dirt, fingerprints and other marks.
Click Here to Learn How to Use Cleaner
Avery Dennison® Supreme Wrap™ Power Cleaner
Extra power to deal with difficult localized stains such as bird droppings, road grime, tree sap and much more.
Click Here to Learn How to Use Power Cleaner
Avery Dennison® Supreme Wrap™ Sealant
Provides a protective layer on the wrap, making it easier to clean off everyday challenges like dirt, bird droppings and tree sap.
Click Here to Learn How to use Sealant
CrystalTek has several products specifically made to clean and protect your vehicle wrap, as well as the rest of your vehicle.
Click here to check out CrystalTek products.
Croftgate produces a range of high-performance, eco-esponsible waterless car wash and car detailing products alongside their already popular range of low water wash and waxes, leather cleaners, compounds, and polishes and many other award winning products. All made, wherever and whenever possible, with no petroleum solvents and no listed hazardous ingredients.
Click here to check out Croftgate products.